Holter ECG is an instrument that you carry for 24 to 48 hours and can record ECG. When a normal ECG is taken, only a few seconds rhythm status is evaluated. Most rhythm disorders cannot be caught with ECG for this reason. Therefore, if a person with palpitations is suspected rhythm disorder, Holter ECG is used, where the heart’s rhythm can be monitored for a longer period of time .
When to Use
Holter monitors are used for 2 main purposes:
- To determine heart rhythm and abnormalities in rhythm
- To determine the periods when the heart muscle is not getting enough blood (ischemia)
The Holter monitor records your heart rhythm during your daily activities. Holter can also be used in the following situations:
- In the evaluation of chest pain
- In the evaluation of patients with pacemakers
- In determining the effect of drugs
Complaints such as lightheadedness, palpitations, shortness of breath, fainting, chest pain can occur for various reasons. Holter monitoring helps to understand whether the complaints are caused by the heart. Too fast or too slow heart rhythms can cause dizziness and fainting, but because the complaints are short-term, they may not be determined on the ECG. With Holter monitoring, important information is obtained about which part of the heart originates from the heart and the treatment is directed accordingly.
In cases where the heart does not bleed well due to narrowing of the heart vessels, the records in Holter change and these are evaluated during the examination. High-risk patients or patients at risk of sudden death can be identified after a heart attack.
How to Install Holter Device?
- After removing the garments on the upper body, certain parts of the chest wall are shaved (so that the devices adhered to the chest are not loosened), the cables of the holter monitor are attached to the chest wall by adhesive electrodes.
- The recorder unit of the Holter monitor is a walkman-sized piece attached to a belt attached to the waist. As long as Holter is installed, it is requested to write down the complaints and their times on a piece of paper.
- Abundant clothes should be worn and Holter should not be taken while the Holter is attached. Apart from these, daily activities are continued.
When you bring the Holter back, the recordings will be read on the computer and you will be reported. There is no risk of the transaction.
What to do after the procedure?
Your doctor will review the records and discuss the results with you. Sometimes, when the drug is changed, the holter test may need to be repeated.